- CANCELLED – Tech Crew Live Disco & Band Night – Fri 31 Jan
- Chinese New Year raised an incredible £1,140!
- Mandarin Excellence Programme – cultural immersion
- The week ahead – early finish and 6th Form Open Evening on Tuesday 28 Jan
- Instrumental Concert – Thurs 6 Feb @ 7pm (School Hall)
- Refectory Update
- Sports Update
- House Polo Tops – available to buy all year round
- Teacher Training Taster Day – Thurs 6 Feb
- Prayer for Pate’s – Mon 27 January @ 8pm (email@example.com)
- Calendar Update
CANCELLED – Live Band Night: sadly, we have had to call off the band night which was due to take place on Friday 31st January. We just didn’t manage to sell enough advance tickets… we will be organising full refunds for those who bought tickets. We apologise for the disappointing news, and would like to thank Harry and the tech crew for taking the initiative to set this up. Maybe next time…
Celebrating Cultural Diversity at Pate’s
Chinese New Year: This weekend’s Chinese New Year celebration raised an incredible £1,140! Pate’s ushered in the Year of the Rat in style, with a great celebration of Chinese culture. Thanks to everyone who performed, ran stalls and provided such delicious food, especially to 288 Bar and Wok, who kindly provided delicious noodles and raffle prizes, and of course to our tireless Parents’ Association. Next year’s Chinese New Year celebration will take place at Pate’s on 28th February 2021 – put it in your diary!
Mandarin Excellence Programme: We were delighted to welcome students from our hub schools: St Gregory’s, St Birinus, Didcot Girls and KLB too today, who joined in with our own students for a jam-packed day of intensive learning & celebration! Students enjoyed a day of cultural activities, including calligraphy, cooking, drama, fan dancing and Kui De Tang lion dancing. A special thank you to the Kui De Tang Martial Arts School, who did the amazing interactive workshops for our visitors and will return for more fun sessions later in the year for our Mandarin learners.
Our Chinese New Year celebrations are part of a series of events (including last term’s Diwali Celebration), and next term we will celebrate Eid with a bring-and-share meal (Tuesday 2nd June). We are extremely fortunate at Pate’s to have such rich cultural diversity in school (our students speak 44 languages between them – some students speak as many as 4 languages!) and we are very much open to suggestions for future celebrations! If you are able to help with the organisation of Eid al Fitr, please contact Joanna Kurlbaum on firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
The Week Ahead: Just a reminder that we have an early finish at 2pm on Tuesday 28th January. There will be no lunch service on that day. This is the date of our Sixth Form Open Evening and we are grateful to parents for support students in attending the evening as tour guides, musicians and departmental helpers (attendance is compulsory for Y12 students, unless they have permission otherwise). Helpers can either stay on after school, or return to school (Refectory) at 6pm. The evening should be finished by around 8.30pm. Once again, thank you.
Instrumental Concert Thurs 6th Feb @ 7pm: Please join us for this concert, showcasing our finest instrumental soloists and ensembles, who will be playing a wide range of music for you to enjoy. Refreshments will be provided by our wonderful Parents’ Association – all proceeds coming back to the students. Tickets cost £6 (adults) and £4 (students) and are available to buy from our website (here).
Refectory Update: Our new Catering Manager, Mrs Greene, is settling into her new role very well and has already attended meetings with students, who are keen to discuss food provision, packaging and waste. This will be an exciting term in the refectory, beginning this coming week with Taster Sessions of new dishes for staff and students:
We are delighted to publish our new Refectory menu for the next three weeks.
U16 Netball: As well as the usual 20 regular fixtures this week across 6 different sports, 2 of our teams are having an extra special week. Our U16 netball team will be representing Gloucestershire at the South West Regional Finals in Bournemouth, having been crowned County Champions. After school on Friday they will spend the night in a hotel before the excitement of playing all the best netball schools on Saturday. Good luck all!
U15 Rugby: The U15 rugby squad has progressed into the quarter-finals of the national Nat West Vase competition after beating RGS Worcester on Thursday. They are now two games away from the final at Twickenham and face an away trip to The King’s School, Grantham in the next round.
House Polo Tops: We should like to advise parents that House polo tops will be available to be purchased from the Schooltogs/Monkhouse uniform shop in Cheltenham (252 High Street, Cheltenham), in all House colours and sizes from Monday 27 January 2020 – this is more convenient and useful for trying sizes etc. before buying. The shops also operate a ‘click and collect’ service – please see website www.schooltogs.com for more details. There are options for ‘Click and Collect’ in Cheltenham as well as stores (one each) in North Bristol, South Bristol, Gloucester, Malvern, Swindon and Worcester that may also be of interest. Please note that there will no longer be the facility to order these directly from school, so please keep this information to hand for when your child requires a new House polo top. Thank you.
Our next Teacher Training Taster Day is on Thursday 6th February. If you or anyone you know is Interested in becoming a teacher and would like to know more, please do come along. Booking is essential – simply email email@example.com. This is a great opportunity to explore teaching, spend time in the classroom and discover the training options available in Gloucestershire.
Prayer for Pate’s Monday 27th January at 8pm – We are a group of Christian parents who pray regularly for the school, its students, staff and governors. We’d love you to join us on Monday 27th January at 8pm in Gloucester. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Y11 Reports Published – Mon 27 Jan
- EARLY FINISH – Buses at 2pm – NO LUNCH SERVICE – Tues 28 Jan
- Sixth Form Open Evening (compulsory attendance for Y12) – Tues 28 Jan 5-8pm
- Y9 Parents’ Evening – Wed 5 Feb @ 4-7pm
- Instrumental Concert – Thurs 6 Feb @ 7pm (tickets here)
- Pate’s musicians perform Lunchtime Concert @ Chapel Arts, Cheltenham – Fri 7 Feb @1pm
- PA Quiz Night – Fri 7 Feb @ 7pm (Refectory)
- Y11 Parents’ Evening @ 4-7pm – Thurs 13 Feb
- Y13 Reports Published – Thurs 13 Feb
- Mufti Day (details to follow) – Fri 14 Feb
- School finishes for half term @ 15:40 – Fri 14 Feb
- Choral Concert rehearsals for Parents & Staff – Sun 23 Feb @ 7-9pm (School Hall)
- School restarts – Mon 24 Feb
- Y12 Work Experience Week w/c Mon 24 Feb
- Launch of South Africa Sports Tour – Mon 24 Feb @ 5.30pm (Gallery)
- INSET Day (no students in school) – Wed 26 Feb
- Y13 Parents’ Evening (2) @ 4-7pm – Thurs 27 Feb
- Trips this week:
- 27/1 – Yr12 Cadbury World Trip (28 Students)
- 29/1 – Yr11 GCSE Science Live (40 Students)
- 30-31/1 – Yr12/13 Art Trip to Yorkshire (16 Students)
Finally, I would like to thank those people who responded to messages from families regarding school transport and travel share etc. We have passed on contact details to the families concerned – thank you.