As a way of raising much needed funds and a way to ensure that our cherished Pate’s past comes with us to the future, we have decided to introduce alumni naming and ‘in memorandum’ opportunities. Donations of £2000 upwards can be considered for naming an area in the school and if you are interested we can of course give further details. Opportunities exist in areas such as sport, music, libraries, languages, science, and many more.
The names given become part of the everyday language of the school; for example we currently have the Tatam Block, the Leopold Room, and the John Elvan Rees Practice Room. There are more in the pipeline and they provide wonderful ways to:
- ensure a name becomes part of the illustrious school history
- inspire the bright, young minds of our current and future pupils
- provide funds to further enhance our campus for decades to come.
All such things are of course very personal. We would like to work with individuals or family members to ensure we tailor any such dedications to be in keeping with the interests or passions of the individual concerned. As a consequence it will provide support and inspiration to our young people at Pates’ today, who share those passions.
If you would be interested in finding out more, please contact Alex Gregory (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 01242 538285 for an informal chat.
George and Eve Tatam Legacy
We are extremely grateful for the bequest from George and Eve Tatam. George was an alumnus of Corpus Christi College Cambridge, Chair of Governors at Pate’s Grammar School and the founder of Master Classes for young mathematicians in the County. George and his wife, Eve’s legacy provided the much needed additional funding for the George and Eve Tatam Classroom Block. The Tatam block consists of 5 classrooms and the name Tatam is part of the school’s everyday language. We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to the Tatam family for their support.
Donation in Recognition of John Elvan Rees
JOHN ELVAN REES, a former pupil of Cheltenham Grammar School (1952–1959), had music at the core of his life. Although pharmacy was his profession and his career took him all over the world, music was his passion. John was always in great demand as a player and singer, but he was also an inspirational guide and mentor, particularly to young musicians, and always exuded warmth and humour. John died in June 2010 after a valiant battle with cancer. The John Elvan Rees Memorial Fund was established shortly after his death and has been funded through concerts and by donations from family, friends and colleagues. His Memorial Fund has enabled donations to be made towards Cancer Research UK and WaterAid but the bulk of the fund was generously donated to Pate’s Grammar School to ensure that John’s inspiration continues to pervade all aspects of music at Pate’s.
The Fund in John’s name has enabled the purchase of a piano which, along with the naming of this room, “The John Elvan Rees Practice Room”, will keep John’s name and inspiration at the heart of the music department. Our most sincere thanks to John's friends and family for supporting our current students in such a fabulous way.
Donation in Recognition of John Lee
We gratefully acknowledge the donation in recognition of the inspirational teaching of John Lee, Senior English Master at Cheltenham Grammar School in the 1960s. Our thanks go to Colin Lawson, Derek Lockhart, David Rigby, David Smart and David Bostock.
John Lee was born in 1921 into an old-established family of Sheffield steel and cutlery masters. He was educated at Kind Edward VII School, Sheffield. He joined the Territorial Army in 1939 and during the Blitz served in the anti-aircraft defences along the Thames estuary. Later as a memeber of the RAOC he was sent to Egypt and then to Iraq, where from 1942-44 he was attached to the Indian Army, organsing military transport in the Basra area. At the weekend he would sometimes organise outings to the confluence of the Tigris and the Euphrates: an area associated, at least in local lore, with the Garden of Eden. After demobilisation in 1946 he worked in agriculture and transport before going up to Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge to read English (1951-55).
He began teaching at Lewes County Grammar School for Boys in East Sussex and it was while he was teaching there that he formed a lasting friendship with Leonard Woolf. He moved on to Bablake School, Coventry and then to the City Grammar School, Lincoln. He was Head of English at Cheltenham Grammar School, 1962-68 where he taught several Oxbridge English Exhibitioners. Finally he moved as Head Master to Katherine Lady Berkeley's School, Wotton-under-Edge, before retiring in 1982.
During a busy retirement he was a governor of Cheltenham Grammar School (1984-1989), a member of Gloucestershire Education Committee, the council of Bath University and the Court of Bristol University. He currently lives in a small village in North Norfolk with his wife Katy.
"The new Tatam Block (generously funded by a donation to the school) has transformed teaching in our Faculty" (Pate's Staff)