Pate’s Grammar School
Important Dates for Y7 Appeals:
- Appeal Registration opens on 1stApril 2021. Registration forms are available to download from the school website, below.
- Deadline to submit appeals: 3pm on Monday 26th April 2021.
- Deadline for submitting any additional supporting paperwork: midnight on Thursday 6th May 2021.
- Dates of Appeal Hearings: Pate’s Grammar School Appeal hearings will take place in May 2021 (final details to be confirmed 10 days before). The hearings would normally be held at Hester’s Way Resource Centre, Cassin Drive, Cheltenham, GL51 7SU, but this may need to change due to Covid restrictions.
- Please note that the admissions test itself is designed, set, marked and administered externally by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring (CEM), based at Durham University. As such, Pate’s holds very little information on individual test scores. However, if your child has not achieved a qualifying standard and you require confirmation of your child’s ‘ranking’ in the results for Pate’s, we can provide this; please email your request to email@example.com,giving your child’s name and date of birth. We would be grateful if you could avoid telephoning Admissions office at this very busy time; we will endeavour to answer all email enquiries within 5 school days.
- Before launching an appeal for your child to have a place at Pate’s, we would urge you to consider whether you have grounds for appeal that go beyond suggesting that your child (like many others) would benefit from a Pate’s education. Our admissions criteria and, based upon experience, the independent Admissions Appeal Panel have not given weight in their reported deliberations to factors such as the nearness to school, travel arrangements, sibling links, the fact that a child would contribute a great deal to the school (academically, musically, in sporting or other arenas), family or child upset at not getting a place, the negatives you perceive about the alternative school allocated. Very few appeals are successful. In the end, however, it must be your decision. One of the main concerns at Appeal is whether the admissions process has been conducted in a reasonable way, in line with the admissions policy or whether there has been any significant flaw in procedure that would have changed the outcome of allocation of places. They have sometimes also taken note of significant illness or other similar factor that would have caused under-performance on the day.
- If you require any further information or clarification regarding the Appeals process itself please email Mr Locke, Bursar (firstname.lastname@example.org), but please note that school will be closed for the Easter holidays from 2nd to 16th April inclusive. Please be advised that, in order to be fair and remain impartial, we are unable to discuss details of individual cases.
FOR IN-YEAR APPEALS: Please register for an In-Year appeal by completing the ‘In-Year Appeal Form’.
Further information:Appeals Registration Form (for in year appeals) Appeal Registration Form for Year 7 in September 2021 Appeals Guidance
“Thank you for all your help with understanding the admissions process, it was all made very easy and allowed my son to focus on simply doing his best in the test” (Parent)