- #Unplugged digital detox this week
- Calling all musicians!
- Instrumental Concert Wed 30 Jan
- Chinese New Year celebration Sun 3 Feb 12:30 until 3pm
- Parents Association Update and Opportunities
- Please nominate Pate’s when you shop online with Amazon / Easyfundraising
- Calendar and Trips Update
This is #UNPLUGGED week – taking digital control will be starting on 21st January 2019. You may find that joining your children in a digital detox will help improve the way you use social media, and your own wellbeing! The challenge is to spend 3, 5, or 7 days of the week beginning 21st January 2019 – #Unplugged and:
- Only using your phone for calls or urgent texts
- Only checking your phone for a total of one hour a day
- Not using your phone after 6:30pm
- Turning off social media notifications. Good luck!
Year 12 Politics students attended an informative conference on Brexit this morning at Marling school, along with five other local sixth forms from the area. Stroud’s Labour and Cooperative MP, Dr David Drew, who is also Shadow Minister for Farming and Rural Affairs, gave an outline of the legal and political process around Brexit, his views on how austerity has caused divisions and fueled support for Brexit, and the need to bring together a divided country. Drew also outlined the future economic implications and explained important issues such as the Backstop and Customs Union arrangements. He then opened the floor to questions from students on a range of issues, such as the need for another referendum, the border in Northern Ireland, and the rights of EU citizens living in the UK. “We had a packed audience and lots of interesting questions from a very engaged group. Once again it was evidence of the value of extending voting rights to 16 and 17-year-olds.” (Dr David Drew)
CALLING ALL MUSICIANS: Please make sure you are available to perform in our Instrumental concert on Wed 30th January – this includes orchestra, jazz and other instrumentalists. We would be grateful if parents could also flag this up to students. Thank you.
Instrumental concert Wed 30th Jan @ 7pm in school hall: Please join us for a relaxing evening of musical entertainment performed by Pate’s musicians. There will be a bar provided by our Parents’ Association. Please follow this link to buy tickets for this concert – £6 (adults) £4 (students).
Chinese New Year celebration, Sun 3 Feb 12.30-3pm: please join us for this celebration of Chinese culture and the year of the pig. We will be joined by the local Mandarin School for this event, which will include a varied programme of performance, arts and activities. We will be selling a selection of delicious authentic Chinese snacks and the PA will be running their usual drinks service. Tickets cost £5 for adults – children are free – and they are available from our school website here.
Parents’ Association Update:
- PA Opportunities: The PA would love to hear from any parents who could spare some time to support the Committee. If you are interested, now would be a great time to start learning the ropes, in time for the Autumn when a handful of key committee members will be leaving. Three specific vacancies are:
- Second-hand uniform: an organised, preferably local, person/people needed to help run the second-hand uniform cupboard. Job shares more than welcome!
- Database: Is there anyone who wouldn’t mind managing the PA database of volunteers, keeping it up to date and relevant? It is a desk job and can be done from home.
- Secretary: Attend twice-termly meetings (lasting one hour to 90 minutes), send out agendas, take Minutes, and prepare the Volunteer Doodle for Events (an online job that has a well-established process. Job-shares more than welcome!
- If you are interested or want to find out more, email Laurette Thomas at email@example.com for a chat. Thank you.
Please nominate Pate’s Grammar School when you shop online: Keen online shoppers will be pleased to know they can now do their Amazon shopping via smile.amazon.co.uk, elect to support Pate’s Parents’ Association and a percentage of all purchases will go to the PA for Making £nds Meet. This facility has been available through easyfundraising.org.uk for many years as well as shopping with other traders including John Lewis, Argos, M&S, eBay, travel companies etc. Simply log on (or download the very efficient app) and select Pate’s Grammar School. Over the past five years £8,100 has been raised for school, but only 220 parents and grandparents are using the site.
- Mon 28 Jan – Y11 Grade Cards published
- Tues 29 Jan – SCHOOL FINISHES EARLY AT 2pm
- Tues 29 Jan – Sixth form Open Evening 5-8pm
- Wed 30 Jan – Instrumental Concert @ 7pm
- Sun 3 Feb – Chinese New Year celebrations 12:30-3pm
- Thurs 7 Feb – Y9 Parents’ Evening 4-7pm
- Tues 12 Feb – Jazz Concert 6pm until 7.30pm (Recital Room)
- Thurs 14 Feb – Y11 Parents’ Evening 4-7pm
- Fri 15 Feb – School finishes for half term @ 3.40pm
- Trips for this week:
- 25/26th Jan (Leaving @ 1pm) – 11 Y9 Students U14 Netball Regionals in Bournemouth